The girls have been talking about wanting a puppy for awhile now. They talk about it and then they see a dog and freak out! So, I thought maybe it was time to take them to a pet store, just to look around and warm up to man's best friend, while the pups are barricaded in a cage and not trying to jump on them. We went to Puppies and Guppies in the Greensboro mall on Monday this last week and had sooo much fun! The store actually has something similar to dressing rooms in the back, where you can play with a pup for a little while and get some hands on time with the pooch of your choice. I was immediately drawn to the Cairn Terrier in the window; she was so playful and having such a great time, so I asked if we could play with her for a bit. The girls were excited at first and then once she started tugging on Violet's dress, none of them wanted anything to do with her. "She's pulling on my dress, Mommy and that is NOT nice!" I thought she was adorable, but the girls didn't agree. Ok, we're done! The nice store owner lady said, "I think I have a puppy that might suit your girls better." She proceeded to bring in a dachshund, better known as a weiner dog. Immediately the girls were excited and once they realized she couldn't get up much more than 2 inches off the ground, they were in love. She was just their type! Friendly, but not too skittish; playful, but not hurtful. It took only a couple minutes and Bridget and Violet both were on the ground playing with her. Isn't it amazing how that lady knew exactly which dog to put in there with us?! They, of course, wanted to buy her on the spot, but that nice store owner lady who knew exactly what to entice us with, shared her price of $1,000+ and I quickly told the girls, "not today, but maybe soon." So, needless to say, we're looking into dachshunds as a family pet. Matt is not super excited, since we were both hoping to get another Westie like we used to have, but it's really for the girls anyway, not us. We can get a Westie later, once the girls are older and not so fearful of bigger dogs. I told him it was either a puppy or another baby. :) Which, we both know is not happening. I promised I would wait to plunge into anything permanent until he gives the go-ahead and hopefully Melody will be completely potty trained before a puppy enters the home. I'm really just giving it to the Lord, although, the girls pray for "Miss Dumbo" every meal time and prayer time, so I don't think it'll be long before He answers!
A new bedroom and library in an old apartment
8 years ago

Out Daisy Mae is a Weiner and Heeler mix. Just look into the pros and cons because Daisy may be a mixed breed but she is Doxie through and through. She's a sweet heart, but also as stubborn as they come. And training her to do anything is a constant battle. And, once she is trained, there's no changing it...ever! She is a a great dog though. I only wish I would have waited until we had a baby to get her. Lilah is almost a year and a half and she still seems depressed with the changes a new baby brought to the house. But, happy shopping. I'm sure the girls will love whatever breed you decide will be best for your family.
ReplyDeleteAnnie
I have heard that about Doxie's. We'll have to train early and stick with it, for sure!
ReplyDelete